For Ticket Buyers
When is Albany FilmFest 2018?
March 17 - 25, 2018: a week of special features and events, Kids' Matinee, All day shorts, and more!
Details coming soon.
Can I see the schedule of films?
Information about screening times, programs, venues, and ticketing will be available in 2018.
Where will the films be shown?
Most films will screen at Landmark's Albany Twin Theatre on Solano Avenue in Albany. The Kids' Matinee will be at Albany Community Center.
Complete information about screening times, programs, other venues, and ticketing will be available in 2018.
Where do I buy a ticket?
Tickets will be sold online at the Albany Twin box office. Information available in 2018.
How do I submit my film?
What are the submission deadlines for Albany FilmFest 2018?
Opening date: May 15, 2017
Earlybird deadline: September 15, 2017
Regular deadline: October 30, 2017
Late deadline: November 17,, 2017
Extended deadline: December 1, 2017
Notification date: January 8, 2017
Do you have cash awards?
Yes, but please note: Only filmmakers with valid US tax ID are eligible for cash prizes.
- Narrative Short = $250
- Documentary Short = $250
- Animated Short = $250
- Tiny Movie = $250
- My Own Private Albany = $250
- Best in Show winner = $250
- Youth 6-12 = $100 or equivalent in merchandise
- Youth 13-17 = $250 or equivalent in merchandise
Do you have fee waivers or discounts?
The following coupon codes are in effect for Albany FilmFest 2017 on FilmFreeway only:
MADEINALBANY: Filmmakers whose films have 50% or more of the footage shot in Albany, California, are eligible for a 50% submission fee reduction.
AFFFF50: Filmmakers whose films were accepted and shown at previous Albany FilmFest screenings are eligible for a 50% submission fee reduction for new films.
AFFSTUDENT: $10 discount on submission fees for college/film school students. MUST provide proof (valid current student ID).
Please ask us about waivers on Withoutabox.
No other waivers or exceptions will be granted.
How long is a short film?
We accept short films that are no longer than 30 minutes. Our Tiny Movies category accepts films that are no longer than 3 minutes.
What are your submission categories?
The following categories are in competition for a cash prize:
- NARRATIVE SHORT: Comedy, drama, horror, sci-fi, mockumentary . . . Narrative films of virtually any genre qualify for this category. Films must be no longer than 30 minutes.
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT: Nonfiction films on any topic. Films must be no longer than 30 minutes.
- ANIMATED SHORT: All animation techniques, styles, genres, and subject matter qualify for this category. Films must be no longer than 30 minutes.
- TINY MOVIE: Any genre. Web shows are accepted but will be judged according to the parameters of this category. Films must be no longer than 3 minutes.
- MY OWN PRIVATE ALBANY: Tell us your Albany story, real or imagined. Show us Albany as we've never seen it. All genres including music videos are acceptable in this category. Films must be no longer than 30 minutes.
- YOUTH 6-12: A film in any of the above categories. You will be judged with your peers. Filmmaker must be between the ages of 6-12 when the film was made. Films must be no longer than 30 minutes for narrative, documentary, and animated shorts; no longer than 3 minutes for Tiny Movies. Filmmaker must be between the ages of 6 and 12.
- YOUTH 13-17: A film in any of the above categories. You will be judged with your peers. Filmmaker must be between the ages of 13-17 or a high school senior when the film was made. Films must be no longer than 30 minutes for narrative, documentary, and animated shorts; no longer than 3 minutes for Tiny Movies. Filmmaker must be between the ages of 13 and 17, or high school senior.
- ALBANY FILMMAKERS SHOWCASE: This noncompetitive (no submission fee, no cash award) category is open to Albany residents or former residents only. A film in any of the above categories, no longer than 30 minutes. Please submit your film for this category on FilmFreeway.com only.
What's the difference between ALBANY FILMMAKERS SHOWCASE AND MY OWN PRIVATE ALBANY?
"My Own Private Albany" is a competitive category -- there is a submission free, and the winner is eligible for a cash award.
"Albany Filmmakers Showcase" is a fun, free to enter, non-competitive (no trophy, no cash prize) category for Albany CA residents or former residents (e.g., you grew up and went to school here) only. Films must be no longer than 30 minutes. This category is open to all ages. Some films may be screened at Albany FilmFest and other Albany FilmFest events.
PLEASE READ: YOU MUST BE AN ALBANY, CALIFORNIA RESIDENT OR FORMER RESIDENT to enter Albany Filmmakers Showcase: Please indicate your "Albany connection" in your Cover Letter. Films that do not meet these specifications will not be considered for screening. PLEASE NOTE: Films submitted to Albany Filmmaker Showcase are not eligible for cash awards. Time constraints mean that submitted films are not guaranteed to be screened.
Should I send a press kit?
No need to rush. If your film is accepted, we will request an electronic press kit.
Can I submit my film if it has distribution or has aired on TV?
No, sorry (but congratulations!).
Can I submit more than one film?
Yes, but each film requires a separate submission and payment.
What screening formats do you accept?
We accept digital submissions only, so you must upload your film for us to screen. If you are accepted we will contact you with information about screening format.
What’s your selection process?
Our selection and programming team watches all properly submitted films. We select films based on originality, production quality, artistic impression, and programming considerations. Our judging panel of film industry profressionals watches the selected films and chooses the winners in each category.
Films are also judged according to how well they fit the category requirements, so consider this carefully when you make your submission. Albany FilmFest reserves the right to switch the entry category to fit programming needs and interests (you will not be penalized for the original submission selection).
If you don’t select my film, will you give me feedback?
Sorry, we can't give you feedback on your film. Film selection is always going to be subjective and may also be affected by programming constraints and considerations.
I am not a US citizen — can I still submit my film to your festival?
Yes. If your film is not in English, it must include English subtitles.
I am not a US citizen — am I eligible for a cash prize?
We happily accept film submissions from directors residing outside the United States, and your film is qualified to win in any category. Unfortunately, we cannot at this time award cash prizes to filmmakers who do not have a United States Social Security Number.
Will you show my film anywhere else?
KALB and the City of Albany reserve the right to use any content from submissions as well as media from the Opening Gala and Festival for publicity and promotional purposes. All films submitted to the Albany Film Festival may be played on KALB 33, our public access channel, streamed on our website, or shown on our YouTube channel. In the case of winners and favorites, we may compile a Best of the Fest reel to screen after the festival. Filmmakers may opt-out in writing to KALB (1249 Marin Ave. Albany, CA 94706) before March 25, 2018.
Anything else I should know?
Albany FilmFest is in Albany, California, not Albany, New York.
What if I still have a question that isn’t covered here?
Please email your questions to email@example.com. We’re always happy to connect with filmmakers.